RENAULT ELECTRIC CARS
The French automaker, Renault, is one of the trendsetters in the electric vehicle revolution. Renault and Nissan formed an Alliance to create Electric Vehicles. The company is also one of the founding teams of the Formula E championship with its Renault eDames team winning the first two seasons of the franchise. The company’s model range includes the popular neighborhood electric vehicle, the Twizy, which has been cloned in China as the Rayttle. Renault is rumored to bring a 200+miles version of the Zoe to market, expanding the options available to prospective buyers of electric vehicles at the lower end of the market. Renault’s ownership model is built around leasing its battery’s rather than selling the vehicle as a complete solution, allowing a lower price point but creating concerns around the ability to disable connected vehicles in the event of non-payment.
Although an early leader Renault has lost its momentum as the Group sees autonomous vehicles is a more imminent technology.
RENAULT EV MODELS
RENAULT EV SALES
RENAULT ELECTRIC VEHICLES IN THE NEWS
2017 Week 25 - New Renault Kangoo
2017 Week 23 - Renault Chairman sees autonomous vehicles before EVs
Nissan-Renault Chairman, Carlos Ghosn commented at a press conference in Australia that he sees autonomous vehicles as the next big thing before the environment for EVs become conducive to large scale adoption. “In the next five years, most of the cars will be with some capacity of autonomy. The premium market is going to be totally autonomous.” Mr. Ghosn said.
2017 Week 23 - Renault Chairman slams Oz's lack of support for EVs
Longtime Nissan-Renault Chairman, Carlos Ghosn, this week commented that he does not see electric vehicle adoption equal to that of other nations soon. The Australian Governments lack of support for the sector has received widespread criticism from the auto sector recently. Mr. Ghosn was quoted by Australian publication, Drive, saying “The subsidies are important to jump-start the technology and help the technology reach a new level. I understand that your government is going to issue a new policy. I will be waiting [to see] what are the components of this policy.” Earlier this year Nissan Australia CEO Richard Emery lashed out at the Australian government over a lack of support for the EV sector, describing his dealings with the industry as ‘amateur hour.’
Other automakers have shared the same sentiment, this week BMW country chief, Mark Werner, according to Car Advice said at the launch of the plug-in hybrid 530e iPerformance that the government has “stuck their collective heads in the sand.” “Our government is so far behind in their view of climate change,” he said. “Australia has shocking emissions levels. Worse than what we would call non-industrialised or third-world countries.”
EV sales in Australia totaled less than a 1,000 vehicles in 2016, while the smaller neighbor, New Zealand sold close to 1,500 in the same period.
2017 Week 8 - Geneva Auto Show Line-up
- Porsche will unveil a powerful Panamera E-Hybrid;
- The Chinese start-up Techrules will unveil its Supercar, the GT96;
- Toyota will reveal it’s I-Tril concept, speculated to be a three-wheel city vehicle; and
- Renault is said to reveal a new electric vehicle.
2017 Week 7 - Season 3 Race 3
The 3rd event in the current series of the Formula-E electric vehicle street racing calendar held Buenos Aires Argentina ended yet again with a victorious Renault.eDams team. The e.Dams driver, Swiss-born Sebastian Buemi clinched his 3rd win of the series. The Brasilian Lucas Di Grassi’s 2nd position kept Audi’s ABT Schaeffler standings in the overall second position. The Chinese teams of Next EV and Techeeta were the only teams climbing the rankings, now lying 4th and 5th respectively. Newcomer Panasonic Jaguar has yet to score a single point in the 3rd season, with its drivers Evans and Carrol ending 18th and 19th.
2017 Week 2 - New Models
Renault this week announced two more additions to its electric vehicle model range, both light commercial vehicles. Renault is one of the few automakers in Europe to commit early on to electric vehicles with models such as the Renault ZOE and Twizy. The two new models will be an improved version of the Kangoo ZE delivery van and a full-size commercial van, the Master ZE. Both vehicles will have an improved 33kWh battery pack and 7kW AC Charger.
2016 Week 40 - Formula E
1. The Formula E Season 3 kicked off in Hong Kong today with a lucky win for 2-time team champions, Renault e.dams. The winners of the previous two seasons qualified in 6th position, but after a crash by DS Virgin’s Jose Maria Lopez forced race leader Nelson Piquet into evasive action providing Renault’s Sebastien Buemi an opportunity. The next event is in 33 days in Marrakesh, Morocco.
2016 Week 39 - Paris Auto Show
1. For the first time at an international auto show, electric vehicles took center stage at the Paris Auto Show this week, overshadowing new reports of Tesla autopilot crashes, refuted by the company. The prominence of electric vehicles at the show confirms the shift towards the segment. Most of the front runners in the segment were presented there and used the opportunity to unveil new models, such as the Opel Ampera-e, which is the Chevrolet Bolt badged for the European market. VW unveiled its ID concept vehicle and Renault the Trezor.
2. Renault unveiled the new ZOE with a range of over 250miles, utilising LG-Chem’s improved battery technology. The production version will be available in Europe from November 2016 and sell for around £22,000.00 before incentives.
2016 Week 37 - Sales
1. The Renault–Nissan Alliance announced that it reached a new milestone by selling its 350,000th electric vehicle since the launch of the Nissan Leaf back in 2010, thereby maintaining its position as the global leader in the sector. The Alliance also achieved a historic milestone by selling 100,000 electric vehicles in one year. Renault sold its 100,000th electric vehicle since the introduction of the Renault Kangoo delivery van in 2011. The Alliance electric vehicles include the Twizy, Kangoo, Fluence, Leaf, and e-NV200.
2016 Week 27 - Formula E
1. Nico Prost of team Renault e.Dams beat Bruno Senna in the 9th round in the second season of the Fiat Formula-e at Battersea Park in England. The series is hotting up with Faraday and Dragon Racing announcing a technical partnership where the EV startup will support Dragon Racing through the next 4 Formula series. The next series start on 9 October 2016. In related news, Honda announced that it would wait for the series to grow before it participates.
Not sure which model EV to choose?
wattEV2Buy’s easy to use EV Select tool helps identify which electric vehicle is perfect for your specific requirements. EV Select compare electric vehicles battery electric range over various vehicle types. Within four clicks you can get the perfect luxury sedan able to drive your required distance on battery power.
Unsure what the charging cost will be?
wattEV2Buy’s easy to use Charging Cost Calculator compare electric vehicles charging cost in your state and relate it to equivalent gasoline cost. The charging cost calculator also allows you to be specific and customize your electricity cost in kWh and provide results in miles and kilometers, making it usable all over the world.
The Swedish electric vehicle market: A wattEv2Buy analysis of Sweden EV Sales for H1 2017 and show the best and worst brands and models for this semester.
The Chinese New Energy Vehicle market: A wattEv2Buy analysis of China EV Sales for H1 2017 and show the best and worst brands and models for this semester.
Summary of EV sales in Norway H1 2017, unpacking the Top brands, Best and Worst Models and how the battle between BEV & PHEV technologies play out.