MERCEDES-BENZ ELECTRIC VEHICLES
Wilko Andreas Stark, Vice President Daimler Strategy & Mercedes-Benz Cars Product Strategy and PlannSing, highlights the importance placed on electric mobility at Mercedes-Benz: “For us, it’s not a question of whether electric mobility will take off, but when. The goal of MB is to be the leader in this green technology. And we already offer our customers convincing solutions where daily usability, flexibility, and affordability are concerned.”
By 2017, ten new PLUG-IN HYBRID vehicles will have been launched as part of the hybrid offensive strategy, and this will include SUV models such as the new GLE and GLC. The S 500 PLUG-IN HYBRID¹ spearheads the PLUG-IN HYBRID model line-up: this luxury saloon combines the performance of an eight-cylinder engine with the consumption of a compact vehicle – and 33 kilometers can be driven on purely electric power alone. The MB C350e is the first model to sport the new “e” abbreviation which denotes its electrified drive system.
Daimler has for years been developing from an automobile manufacturer into a mobility provider. The focus is no longer solely on the car as a product, but also on services related to mobility. Electric- and plug-in vehicles, for example, include an MB Wallbox installation service, and also exclusive Mercedes me connect functions. Another aspect of the corporate strategy is to offer new, innovative services for flexible and networked mobility. Moovel provides the fastest connection between two places, taking all means of transport into consideration.
The “Charge&Pay for Mercedes-Benz” makes charging and paying at public charging stations particularly easy. With the “connect me” services and associated “remote vehicle status” function, you can check the charge status and vehicle range as well as search for the nearest charging station.
MERCEDES-BENZ EV MODELS
MERCEDES-BENZ GLC 350e 4MATIC
MERCEDES-BENZ EV SALES
MERCEDES-BENZ ELECTRIC VEHICLES IN THE NEWS
2017 Week 20 - Electrified public transport gets a leg up this week
As electric vehicles become more popular so does the application for other modes of transport. For long the Chinese automakers, such as BYD and Changjiang had the monopoly on electric buses, but this week we saw more automakers enter the segment. The challenge with electric buses, other than cars is that you need ultra fast charging of huge batteries, and these huge batteries add weight to the vehicle.To be equipped with a 256kWh battery. Two automakers outside of mainland China this week announced that they are entering the electrified bus market.
Hyundai announced that it would develop an electric bus for the local market next year. The bus is expected to be equipped with a huge 256kWh battery.
Mercedes-Benz released the following statement at the Global Public Transport Summit (GPTS) in Montreal
In parallel with the optimisation of the diesel drive system, Mercedes-Benz is working hard on the all-electric-powered and locally emission-free city bus. The all-electric Citaro is due to go into series production in the coming year – prototypes are already undergoing testing on the roads. The electrically powered Citaro will open up a new chapter in electric mobility, because Mercedes-Benz is not looking at the city bus in isolation, but as an integral part of a highly efficient transport system.
2017 Week 13 - Daimler accelerates it electric vehicle program
Daimler this week, after a board meeting in Berlin, announced that it would accelerate its $11 billion investment in electric vehicles by bringing it forward with three years from 2025, as announced last year to 2022. Reuters reported that the automaker’s aggressive stance are the result of it not being able to cut fleet emissions of 123gm CO2/km from 2015 to 2016 in Europe. Europe has set a very stringent target of 95gm CO2/km by 2020. Daimler’s own target for 2020 is 100gm CO2. The German automaker cites the popularity of SUV’s as the reason for it not cutting its emissions for the first time since 2007.
2017 Week 12 - Mercedes-Benz EQ hit by trademark complaint
A trademark complaint in China filed by Chery Auto will hamper Mercedes-Benz new electric vehicle brand EQ‘s international aspirations. The Chery eQ, one of the most popular EV micro car’s in China over the last two years share too much similarity for the German automaker to be allowed to use the name in the worlds’ largest electric vehicle market. The Chery eQ sold around 25,000 units since it’s launch in 2015, making it one of the top 10 electric vehicles in the country. Mercedes-Benz launched the EQ brand at the Paris Auto Show in late 2016 to house all its electric vehicle products and services. One can only wonder how a large corporate could have let that one slide! The EQ brand stands for “Electric Intelligence” and is the spearhead for Daimler’s efforts to have electric vehicles represent between 15% and 25% of its global sales.
2017 Week 10 - Mercedes-Benz AMG GT Concept unveiled
Although light on new commercial electric vehicles the Geneva Motor Show this week offered some great eye candy in the form of new concept vehicles, which included:
- Italdesign and Airbus unveiled the world’s first ground and air passenger vehicle, the Pop.Up, also know as Vahana
- Toyota unveiled the i-Tril electric concept. (If somebody at Toyota can just please look at the meaning of the name in some cultures, I cringe every time I use it.)
- Bentley unveiled its EXP 12 Speed 6e electric concept car.
- Mercedes unveiled its Mercedes-AMG GT Concept vehicle.
Nissan announced the unveiling of the new version of its popular Leaf EV expected in September, with commercial sales shortly after that. The Leaf is expected to have a range of 200 miles and some autonomous driving ability through its ProPilot system.
2017 Week 7 - Mercedes-Benz USA to only sell electric Smart models in the USA and Canada
2017 Week 5 - Daimler and Uber to co-operate on self-driving cars
Daimler and Uber announced a cooperation agreement where Daimler will introduce and operate self-driving cars on the Uber network. Uber abandoned efforts to build its own vehicle early on, rather focusing on partnering and acquiring technologies to achieve its goal of a self-driving fleet for its network. Uber acquired autonomous trucking company Otto in 2016 and made a successful delivery of a consignment of beer before being blocked by the California DMV.
2017 Week 4 - Arnold Schwarzenegger upgrades a Galant Wagen to a full electric vehicle
Off-course it is expected when Arnold Schwarzenegger buys an electric vehicle it will not be a Chevy Bolt, but damn the man knows how to get what he wants. The movie star turned politician unveiled his converted Mercedes Galant Wagen in Austria recently. The Kriesel converted G-Wagen SUV sports an 80kWh battery pack producing 482hp which accelerates the vehicle from 0 – 60mph in 5.6 seconds with an 185-mile range (296km).
2016 Week 48 - Daimler to invest $11Bln in electric vehicles
2. Reuters reported that Daimler plans to invest $11Bln in electric vehicle research and development. Daimler’s Research & Development Head, Thomas Weber was quoted in telling the German publication, Stuttgarter Zeitung that “By 2025 we want to develop ten electric cars based on the same architecture,”. The automaker targets increasing cruising ranges above 700km (430 miles).
2016 Week 45 - Los Angeles Auto Show 2016
1. Although not as electric vehicle focused as the Paris Auto Show earlier the year, the Los Angeles Auto Show to be held this coming week promises to provide further insight in how automakers gear up for their respective electric vehicle strategies. Vehicle Manufacturers to keep an eye out for is Hyundai, Land Rover, GM, Tesla, BMW, Mercedes, and Nissan. Market commentators will also be looking at how some manufacturers utilise the low fuel cost environment to bring more SUV’s and crossovers to the market. The consumer’s appetite for these vehicles in the low fuel environment has long been the Achilles heal for the addition of EV vehicles, adding to an ever increasing glut of sedan vehicles.
2016 Week 39 - EQ sub-brand
2. Mercedes finally publically unveiled its new all-electric car brand, the EQ (Electric Intelligence). The brand will develop a host of EV related services and products, not just cars, such as charging stations and battery packs. The first vehicle to come from the brand is targeted at the highly popular SUV segment, a clever move to differentiate the brand in this hotly contested sector. The Generation EQ SUV with a battery capacity of 70kWh providing a range of over 250miles powering two electric motors providing 300kW of power. The production version is expected to be launched in 2018.
2016 Week 32 - Strategy, sub-brand
5. Mercedes registered its EQ model series as it paves the ay for its MEQ sub-brand of electric vehicles. The EQ model series would be the company’s answer to the BMW i Series. The registration included the whole alphabet, from EQA to EQX slogans including ‘EQ inside’, ‘EQ boost’ and ‘Generation MEQ’.
2016 Week 31 - Electric Truck
1. Mercedes presented the first electric truck, with a range of 200km. The release forms part of the company’s efforts to challenge BMW and Tesla‘s dominance in the segment. As previously reported in our June news letter, Mercedes will announce the formation of a new company to house all its electric models. Mercedes set the announcement for September.
2016 Week 29 - Strategy
1.The electric vehicles market gained further traction as Daimler’s CEO, Dieter Zetsche acknowledged the technology’s importance and expected increase in market share. The German automaker shifted its strategy to accelerate its efforts to stay abreast of its competitors, Tesla and BMW‘s push to ramp up production in the luxury electric vehicle segment.
2016 Week 25 - Strategy, Sub brand
1.MERCEDES BENZ contemplates creating an alternative brand to house it’s electric vehicle models in. According to the German business publication, the announcement would be made in September.
Not sure which model EV to choose?
wattEV2Buy’s easy to use EV Select tool helps identify which electric vehicle is perfect for your specific requirements. EV Select compare electric vehicles battery electric range over various vehicle types. Within four clicks you can get the perfect luxury sedan able to drive your required distance on battery power.
Unsure what the charging cost will be?
wattEV2Buy’s easy to use Charging Cost Calculator compare electric vehicles charging cost in your state and relate it to equivalent gasoline cost. The charging cost calculator also allows you to be specific and customize your electricity cost in kWh and provide results in miles and kilometers, making it usable all over the world.
In this week’s blog series on introducing Chinese electric car brands, we look at Thunder Power Holdings ( #ThunderPower ).
It has become a trend in recent times for countries to incentivise their citizens to buy electric vehicles, we list the Top 4.
In this week’s blog series on introducing Chinese electric car brands, we look at Guangzhou Automobile Group (#GAC Motors).